Give the Gift of Hope this Holiday Season:
Family Sponsorship Reflects Generosity of the Season
(ARA) - During the holidays, it is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of decorating, shopping and socializing. While all this activity is part of what makes the season special, it is important to take time to reflect on the larger meaning of the holidays -- caring and sharing. What better time to teach kids about helping others?
One simple gesture can mean a world of difference to a family in need. That gift can be as simple as a warm winter coat or a care package for a holiday meal. For a gift with a more global perspective, consider a "Family Sponsorship" through the humanitarian organization World Vision.
For just over a dollar a day, you and your family can transform the lives of an entire family from Romania, El Salvador, Ghana, or Sri Lanka by supporting a wide variety of humanitarian projects in your sponsored family's community, including access to clean water, nutritious food, health care, and education. For more details about this program visit www.worldvision.org/familysponsorship.
Your family will be encouraged to communicate with your sponsored family and follow their progress, coordinated through World Vision field offices (your correspondence is translated into the other family's language and vice versa). By exchanging letters and pictures, and e-mailing your family over the long term, you and your children will have the opportunity to help send other children to school and to see how your generosity helps a family and a community.
By opening your children's minds to a different cultural experience, you will broaden their perspective on the world, helping them to appreciate the resources and opportunities they enjoy in the United States. With this realization, and with the understanding of how family sponsorship helps other families pursue their dreams, you'll be instilling generosity and compassion in your children. You may even discover yourself looking at the world much differently.
How Exactly Does Sponsorship Help a Family?
Your monthly gift ensures that families are equipped with the resources needed to rise out of poverty and pursue their dreams. Key interventions include:
* Education: World Vision provides the crucial resources for children to attend and remain in school, as well as materials to build and repair those schools. Children finally have the opportunity to pursue their dreams and potential.
* Clean Water: The health of an entire village depends on access to disease-free water for drinking, cooking, bathing, and watering livestock and fields. From drilling wells to adding filtration systems, when World Vision improves the clean water supply, child mortality rates are cut in half.
* Food and Agriculture: Children's tiny bodies are especially susceptible to malnutrition and hunger. World Vision supplies the seeds, tools, and innovative techniques to sustainably maximize crops, cultivate land, raise animals, and process food for reliable, nutritious food supplies.
* Health Care: World Vision helps keep children and families healthy. We improve the quality and accessibility of health services such as prenatal, birthing, and newborn care, provide access to children's vaccinations, train health workers and parents to prevent and treat illnesses, and build and stock clinics.
* Economic Development: One of every five people in the world lives on less than $1 a day. World Vision mobilizes the vocational training and income generating activities for financial independence and opportunities to increase self-sufficiency. Children gain a more secure home and future.
* Shelter/Housing: Many families in sponsorship communities lack adequate shelter. They often live in broken-down structures needing repair. World Vision provides families with the financing and assistance needed to make improvements to their homes.
How to Learn More and Get Your Family Involved
Parents and kids are encouraged to learn more about family sponsorship on the Internet by visiting www.worldvision.org/familysponsorship. To sign up for Family Sponsorship, call (888) 511-6493 to speak to a World Vision representative.
Courtesy of ARA Content