Holisticonline.com Recipes Infocenter
Christmas Fruit Cake - Mother's Recipe
by Iype Mathew
This is my Mother's recipe for Christmas cake and though I may be biased, it is
the best in the world! She's been making it for years and I have never come
across anyone who did not love it at first bite.
This recipe makes either 4 loaf cakes (roughly 8" X 5") or 2 square cakes
(approx (9" squares) and a loaf.
* 1/2 kg all purpose flour
* 1/2 kg butter (salted or unsalted will do)
* 1/2 kg sugar
* 1/2 kg candied peel (my mother usually soaks these in rum from the year before
but that is optional)
* 10 eggs
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 2 tsps vanilla essence
* 2 tsps almond essence
* 3 tbsps orange marmalade
* 1/2 cup dark rum
* 15 cloves
* 4" cinnamon stick
* 15 green cardamom - peeled and seeds removed
* 2 small/ 1 large nutmeg
* Prepare the spice powder by grinding the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom seeds and
cinnamon with 1 tsp of sugar in a clean, dry coffee grinder. Keep aside in a
small bowl for later.
* Spread the candied peel on a clean counter surface or large plate and sprinkle
a tbsp or two of flour over it. Toss to coat well. This prevents the fruit from
sinking to the bottom of the cake while baking!
* Mix the remaining flour, previously prepared spice powder and baking powder
* Prepare your cake tins by lining them with good baking paper. Double line the
bottom. Also cut a piece to place on top of the batter while cooking. This
should be roughly 2" smaller in measurements on all sides, than the tin's
dimensions. This piece of baking paper prevents the cake from rising
disproportionately and cracking at the top while baking!
* Mix 1 cup of sugar in a pan with 2-3 tbsps of water and put on the fire. Cook
on medium flame till all the sugar dissolves and the syrup starts to turn dark
brown and begins to smoke. Turn off the heat. Carefully add 1/4 cup water and
put the syrup back on the fire (medium flame) back on fire and cook till the
earlier syrup and added water is nicely blended and smooth.
* While you are preparing the dark sugar syrup, use a hand blender/ mixer to
blend the remaining sugar and butter till smooth, soft and fluffy.
* Now add 2 eggs at a time and continue to whisk with the hand blender till all
eggs are used up and the mixture is light and fluffy.
* Add the vanilla essence, almond essence. Whisk some more.
* Add the orange marmalade and a little of the dark sugar syrup at a time and
keep whisking. Use up all the dark sugar syrup and blend till batter is smooth.
* Use a cooking spoon and add a spoonful of flour at a time to the above batter
while continuing to whisk. Each time you add flour, whisk till that lot is fully
blended and the batter is smooth before adding more. Continue till all the flour
is used up this way.
* Add the dark rum now and whisk till fully blended in the batter.
* Preheat your oven to 350 F/ 180 C/ Gas Mark 4.
* Now add the floured, candied peel to the cake batter, a little at a time and
fold in very gently.
* Spoon the cake batter into the prepared, lined tins till half full. Place the
small piece of baking paper on top.
* Reduce the oven heat to 250 F/ 130 C/ Gas Mark 1/2 and put the cakes in to
* Bake till "you start to smell a cooked aroma", then poke the cake in the
center with a thin bamboo skewer to check if it is done. If the skewer comes out
clean the cake is done. If not, keep cooking and check every 5 minutes to see if
* When cooked, allow the cake to cool completely before cutting or icing. When
cool, remove from the cake tin and slice or do icing of your choice. My Mother
usually does a layer of almond icing!
* Serve and enjoy!
More Articles on Food and Diet]
[Recipes Home][Great Reading][Holistic Living Home]
[ Nutrition Infocenter] [ Diet/Weight
Control Infocenter ][Holisticonline